Connect with English Raven on Twitter!
Copyright 2001-2011 Jason Renshaw / English Raven Educational Services PTY LTD. All rights reserved. ACN 123 251 927
English Language Teaching Methodology
- An overview of ELT Methodology that lists definitions for concepts such as methodology, approach, method, curriculum/syllabus and technique.
- Detailed summaries of various language teaching methods developed and used over the past century, including the Grammar Translation Method, the Direct Method, the Audiolingual Method, Community Language Teaching, the Silent Way, Suggestopedia, Total Physical Response, and the Natural Approach. For each method there is an explanation of objectives, key features, typical techniques and also some comments/critiques from English Raven based on personal experience/opinion.
- An overview for the well-known PPP Approach to Communicative Language Teaching.
- Brief overviews of the age factors that need to be considered when developing classroom techniques and some theories on how and why teachers ought to experiment with teaching methods.
- A listing of resources and books referred to in these pages, and some links to other useful on-line sources.
This section of English Raven is dedicated to providing an on-line outline of the various considerations that could be defined as falling into the general realm of teaching methodology. The ways teachers have gone about the teaching of foreign languages have seen enormous changes over the past century. It is worth establishing basic definitions, looking at what "language learning principles" mean, examining the ways teaching has been accomplished in the past, what research has taught us along the way, and what is seen to be the enlightened, eclectic view of the present. Here's what English Raven Members will find in this section:
Access all the notes
Used as reference and study material by more than a dozen MA TESOL and CELTA/DELTA course providers!